Aimed at promoting Ontario viticulture and winemaking, the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in Ontario Wines was established in 2011. This awards program recognizes VQA Ontario wines (made from 100% Ontario-grown and processed grapes).
The Lieutenant Governor of Ontario is pleased to announce the following recipients of the fourth annual Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in Ontario Wine.
Below are the winning wines for 2019, in no specific order:
- Big Head Wines 2017 RAW Syrah
- Big Head Wines 2018 Gewurztraminer
- Creekside Estate 2017 Iconoclast Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon
- Flat Rock Cellars 2015 Gravity Pinot Noir
- Jackson-Triggs Niagara Estate 2016 Grand Reserve Merlot
- Megalomaniac N/V Bubblehead
- Niagara College Teaching Winery 2017 Gastronomy Chardonnay
- Peller Estates 2016 Andrew Peller Signature Series Riesling
- Sue-Ann Staff Estate 2017 Howard’s Vidal Icewine
- Tawse 2013 Lenko Vineyard Chardonnay
- Trius 2016 Showcase Red Shale Cabernet Franc Clark Farm Vineyard